– from 82 till 2015 managing partner of Energie Publishing and Energie Concert GmbH
– in 91 he took over the exclusive booking for Die Fantastischen Vier, one of Germany ́s first and most successful German Hip Hop acts. He represented the band for more than eight years and collected several Platinum and Gold awards
– in 94 he was appointed as Vice President of a joint venture founded in Poland. The company was in charge to produce a commercial radio program which was broadcasted in five major cities in Poland. Shareholder were: CLT S.A. Luxembourg, IP Multimedia Poland, Z.H.P. Poland, Havas S.A. France Energie Musikverlag GmbH Germany.
– in 97 he worked as a Managing Director of Evosonic Radio GmbH & Co. KG. Evonic was the first nationwide broadcast station for electronic music in Germany. The programme was broadcasted via satellite.
– in 2002 he was appointed as a manager for MUNDSTUHL. A trash comedy act signed to Sony Music Germany and MUNDSTUHL sold more than 600.000 units of their records.
– in 2004 he was one of the founding members of MMF (Music Managers Forum) Germany
– 2005 he was appointed by the management board of the IMMF chaired by Peter Jenner as a Vice Chairman Europe of the IMMF.
– 2006 he started to work as a booker for the metal gothic act KRYPTERIA
– 2007 KRYPTERIA performed on major festivals in seven countries and toured in Latin America and Asia
– 2008 he was appointed as a management board member of the IMUC an association for music managers and consultants in Germany. On behalf of the city of Dortmund he worked as a consultant for the new building of the FZW, two venues under one roof with a capacity of 1.300 and 300 persons
– 2009 he was appointed as Head of Booking and Events of the FZW
– 2011 he became a Managing Partner of the FZW Event GmbH. The company promotes and organizes round about 250 shows per year at the FZW
-2012 he booked an Asia tour for KRYPTERIA including shows in South Korea and China, panelist at Moshito Music Conference, Johannesburg, South Africa , Canadian Music Week Toronto, Canada and at Reeperbahn Festival, Hamburg.
-2013 he stimulated managers in Spain, Estonia, Ghana , Zimbabwe and Latin America to found independent manager associations in their countries under the IMMF umbrella.
-2014 he was appointed as the Vice Chair of the IMMF and was a panelsist on conferences in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Columbia, South Africa , Canada, Estonia and Germany
– in the same year he was appointed as a member of the Liveurope steering committee. Liveurope is a network of European live venues which have the promotion of emerging talents on their daily agenda. The project is funded by Creative Europe program of the EU
– In 2015 he took over the management of the South African act “Trenton And The Free Radical”. In September 2015 he was appointed as the Chairman of the IMMF. The organization is the global leading network of music managers and self managed artists.
– In 2016 he promoted extensively the IMMF and the organization nowadays represents the interests of more than 3.000 music managers coming from more than 50 countries.
– In 2017 he was reelected as the Chairman of the IMMF
– since 2018 his company promotes show in different venues up to a capacity of 13.000 people
– Since late 2019 he is a member of the IMMF Advisory Board and worked together with Jake Beaumont Nesbitt on a course for young music managers and self managed artists funded by the European Union.
– Till today Volker May was responsible to book and organize live shows throughout Europe, Asia and Americas as well as to manage artists around the globe As the Vice Chair Europe of the IMMF he wrote a comment of the green paper published by European Commission “ Unlocking the potential of cultural and creative industries”.